5.17.2007

know your audience

I confess that I have occasionally sent forwards. Several months back I sent a forward to a select group of friends that may have been interested in the cause I am about to rant on. You will note that I said select. I actually felt uncomfortable doing so but I was doing a favour for man that deserved none.

Yesterday I received not one, but two mass emails asking me to donate money to a presidential candidate. My irritation about the forward was two-fold. Firstly, the one person only had my email through his church duties. I rarely speak to him and he would have no idea as to my political inclination. I have no clue who the other person was. I could only gather that we both receive music emails from a mutual friend. These two idiots abused my email account without really knowing me. Now for the second point, that solidifies the above one, I AM NOT AN AMERICAN. Even if I felt this presidential hopeful was the best thing since sliced bread, I am not legally allowed to donate to his campaign.

I have half a mind to send a searing email to both of them.

7 comments:

Sara said...

Please do send emails to them. I would love to hear how they respond...if at all.

Dainon. said...

I sure hope I'm not the one providing the music emails that led to this.

For the record, I got that same e-mail about six times. Luckily for me, my powers of ignoring such things are well-honed.

aisy said...

sara, i sent an email to one, nicer now that i'm calm. the other one i'm debating on... it's complicated.

dainon, it was either from yours or matt's but i don't hold you accountable, plus you always give me such great music.

Joy said...

I received the e-mail just once. However, it was from an old roommate who I haven't heard from for a couple of years and the subject line was: Updated Contact Information and a request. I was happy to read about her new job (council for romney) but then after reading the rest of the e-mail, I felt like the only reason she bothered to e-mail me was so I'd give her boss money.

I'm tempted to email her back a nice email saying hey its nice hearing from you, but um, I'd like to hear a little more when I don't know, you're not asking for money for your boss.

Darn, I'm grouchy.

David said...

email them back aislinn. seriously. its bs, people shouldn't be using the church for political stuff.

and two, shouldn't assume that just because you're mormon you'd vote for a FLIP FLOPPER...

hey, it worked to tank kerry?

seriously, i kind of feel bad for mitt. he's so johnny come lately. just getting his NRA membership? c'mon... he's like the kid with a lot of money in high school who could buy all the cool clothes, but still couldn't pull it off cause he was a tool.

Anonymous said...

I really hate the proliferation of forwards from a few 'friends' that don't even delete the chain of email addresses - and knowing that my own email address can get picked up by hoards of random people. I don't have the heart to tell them to stop - but I occasionally send replies when my research on snopes.com shows some of these forwards to be false... like - 'please help us find our missing daughter'.

As to the topic of the email you received - from what I've read. the candidate has more than enough wealth to fund his whole campaign without us poor plebs sending our nickels and dimes. But as another non-American citizen - I wish him well. I think he's probably better than some of the alternatives.

aisy said...

i did email but did not hear back... go figure!