5.09.2007

pop quiz


Yesterday I was surprised by the definition of "urbane." I was talking to a fellow co-worker about one of my clients, stating he was the "bane of my existence." This co-worker is a wordsmith, interesting as he is a Smith. Anyway, he asked if I could use bane in a sentence without using the word existence. As the discussion proceeded I started playing with the word urbane. My mind often wanders to non-related tangents and the homonym-like quality of urbane and bane made it a natural transition. We then discussed what we thought urbane meant. I had some vague notions but did not know the true definition. Wordsmith and I learned something new by looking it up. I was completely misguided in what I thought urbane meant, as was he.

Now this leads to the quiz. I want to know what you all think the definition of "urbane" is. I realize it would be extremely easy to cheat but I trust your honesty. Plus, it is so much more gratifying to know you're right because you're just that damn smart. Maybe there will even be a prize... especially if it is also used in a sentence correctly. I will post the answer on Friday for those of you that choose not to check Merriam-Webster online after you post.

Ready, set, go.

5 comments:

Andrew said...

Oh, I know this one without cheating. It means polite. I enjoyed this post very much and it must be fun having a co-worker who is a word smith. Take care and I will stop in again soon.

Andrew in Alabama
The 4th Avenue Blues

David said...

my guess... is that its the same thing as "urban" but with an australian accent.

did i nail it or what?

Anonymous said...

smooth, sophisticated, classy, all-round pleasant and genteel person of quality and character.

someone like your dad. when he isn't being a bane upon those who run afoul of his good nature and endless patience.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I posted earlier but it's not showing.

Anyhow, I said I also thought urbane meant sophisticated. I also indicated that as much as your pops is a swell guy, I wouldn't use the word sophisticated to describe him. I'm not sure if it's the hemp necklace, but something is just off there.

Dainon. said...

It's Friday ... and I'm still clueless.