11.01.2005

stinky...


I sometimes find my pro-women thoughts and opinions could be perceived as sexism against men... but today one of my stereotypes about boys was confirmed.

I have often noticed and believed that boys/men's apartments and rooms seem to emanate odours that my nose isn't particularly fond of. I will say that not ALL of my male counterparts have this problem, but a lot of them do. Today I had my first group therapy session with the boys I am working with. The session took place on the boys unit, which is where they sleep and hang out when not in school or therapy. When I walked into the place I was overwhelmed by a smell that was akin to a stinky, dirty locker room. I wondered if the smell was going to stick to me after I left, and if I would be able to endure the stench for the next hour. Fortunately, or should I say unfortunately, my nose became accustomed to the stink. I seemed more concerned with getting these boys under control, as they were curious as to how far they could test the new therapist... (not far by the way).

Now, I've been on the girls campus and it does not smell unpleasant... not one inch of offensive odour. So I have to wonder why this is. Are men less hygienic than girls? Are they just plain smelly?

15 comments:

aisy said...

i for one dislike perfume, makes me itch. but give me coconut lime verbena lotion any day.

and, for the record, the girls aren't allowed to wear perfume over there... soooooo

HOO said...

Um, I totally back you on this one. I had to stay at an all-guys apartment once when I was out of town for a wedding. Not only did it STINK...the bathroom was atrocious. Like it hadn't been cleaned in years. I've been to tons of guys apartments like that. Frankly, if you can't clean your own damn bathroom...why would I want to date you. So some day I could clean it for you?

elisabeth said...

I bet it has something to do with the fact that (most) men don't shave their armpits. The supposed reason we have armpit hair is to contain our smell so as to attract the opposite sex. It has also been scientifically proven that men sweat more, but don't quote me on that. Men seem to have quite a bit more gas too. My husband says girls' farts smell like cotton candy.

Rebus said...

Though, I too prefer coconut lime verbena, I was always told we gals smell like roses.

elisabeth said...

i don't wear perfume, deodorant or anti-perspirant. the only thing i ever wear is patchouli oil, that does thr trick for me (as long as i bathe regularily of course). i think deodorant actually makes you stink worse, like it contains it and doesn't let your armpit breathe or something. you know, also, maybe men are stinkier because society says it's ok for men to be stinky so they don't try to hide it as much...
this has been a fun topic for me...

aisy said...

cotton candy? wierd...not from my own experiences, but hey, i'll take it.

interesting responses ladies (sorry eyun, but until your men-folk join in on this one, i still think men smell more). i like the armpit thought...

do you think some men/boys just aren't as conscious of the fact that it's time to do laundry or don't care if they go a couple days without bathing? hmmmm.

Joy said...

I've noticed this.

David said...

girls smell like magic. it makes me happy.

yes, we smell more ok. so what. love us anyway

David said...

oh, and it's not cause we have hair in our pits. i frequently shave that biz cause i get bored and i like the way deoderant goes on sans hair.

but my pits still smell the same... i think

elisabeth said...

My husband shaves his pits too but he still stinks... but that's because he's a dirty soap-dodgin hippy. He also told me that i misquoted him on the cotton candy fart-smelling comment. I always though that when he said that it was really true... turns out i'm a fool. All this time he was just being sarcastic.

aisy said...

marv... for real? like ALL the time shaving or just occasionally? hmmm, fancy ass jeans AND shaving... i have to say it so close your eyes

gay vague

hahahahaha

Cindy Bean said...

One time, a friend of mine came over to my house after he'd just gotten into a fight with another guy who threatened to kill him. He was still really worked up about it and the stink his pheromones left permiated my room for a good 3-4 hours. It was really amazing.

Anonymous said...

aisy,
I think guys just suffer from (or are gifted with) a greater capacity to not care. We'll call it apathy. We only notice our stink/dirty bathrooms when juxta posed by non-stink or clean bathrooms.
That, and I think I'll back eyun up. Gurls are stinky and dirty. They just wear it better.

David said...

aislinn,

thanks for kicking me while i'm down.

yours truly

david c. pulsipher

aisy said...

ouch...

i feel horribly, really i do! my sincerest apologies.

always,

aisy larry