9.18.2006

do you remember the time?

I remember when I was a kid the feverish excitement of an upcoming birthday. The party would be planned, invitations given out, cakes chosen and a list of desired items. This year I practically forgot my birthday. My supervisor made an announcement in group supervision last week that two of the therapists had birthdays coming up and I had a brief wondering who they were. Thankfully my mouth didn't get ahead of my mind as I silently realized I was one of the lucky fools.

I entered my birthday weekend like any other. Since my birthday fell on a Sunday, I chose Saturday to be my token celebration. With much "excitement" I got up early to do some cardio and then yoga (ahem David). As I entered the garage, I discovered that my car also wanted to cash in on birthday gifts. Rather than politely asking for something, it passively aggressively made it clear by getting a flat tire. My workout was out the window and I headed off to Costco with my spare tire proving its worth. Several hundred dollars later my car got two sweet tires and drove happily away. Mother nature was the party pooper and showered rain/hail/snow so anything outdoor was out... such as hiking or the Indian festival at the Krishna temple. I thought I deserved to get myself a gift so I returned to Costco to buy myself a digital camera. In August I purchased myself a gift in Chicago but the realization that it was over a month ago gave me permission to call that a souvenir rather than a birthday present. Please note that my camera beautifully captures my purse that I designed myself. Well, I chose the fabrics which was so much fun.


Saturday ended with some good Thai food and an all-girl slumber party (that ended before midnight because we're "past our prime.") My friends got me some great gifts... a certificate to REI, an exercise ball and a painted picture from my uber-talented artsy friend. Also my family sang numerous versions of happy birthday, gave cookies, cash and a book. My birthday was like most other days except that I got to hear from close family and friends all in one day. The difference today is that I have to make a mental note that I am now 29. I don't miss the excitement of birthdays of yesteryear. I like the laid back style and the happiness I feel from the all the calls and cards. Thank you to those of you that made my day feel a little more special.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I also celebrated my 29th this year. I tried to have it completely sneak up on me as we were in Costa Rica. I thought it would be fun to wake up and not even realize it was my birthday. Everytime thoughts of the day got in my mind, I quickly chased them out.

All was going well until we were riding a bus to our destination where it happened that my day would be spend. I saw an ad for a surf competition that was to be held in Dominical (where we were headed). I tried hard to translate the date to see if we were going to be there for it. I slowly started reading and was happy when I finally figured out it was saying Saturday, February 11. Then I remembered what else was on Feb. 11 and sadly realized it was next saturday.

Ryan Remains said...

Many happy returns, etc.

I'm only 28 but I won't hold it against you.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice weekend Ais!
For my 29th b-day my kids insisted on buying me presents so we all went to Target and they picked out for me a football and a car, hmmmm whose birthday??
The funny thing about the day was they then had to wrap up ALL of our purchases from Target which included zip lock bags, kleenex etc. It was a very funny, memorable birthday!

Anonymous said...

That purse looks totally awesome - well done Aisy - and glad you had a memorable day.
One of my memorable birthdays involved getting the birthday bumps which caused an incision to come apart where I'd just had stitches removed - that was my 30th.
See you soon!

mskaz said...

Ohhh, I like the purse.

I can't really remember any birthday that was particularly memorable. Birthdays are so over-rated. I always felt a bit uncomfortable being the center of attention and everyone making a fuss over me. Unless it was momma, I did like that she'd make my favourite dinner.