9.07.2006

only the best

I've often wondered about the criteria used for places to claim they are the "best." There is a dive down my street that states it is the best Chinese food in town. There are plenty of great Mexican establishments but Chinese food is not this town's forte. So anything claiming to be the best Chinese food is something to be wary of. I had first thought it was the best merely because it was the only, however I found a half dozen other Chinese restaurants listed in my area. The last time I went to a restaurant that claimed to be the "best" was an Indian place in San Diego. After listening to the same techno song looped over and over, I decided that the food could be incredible (which it wasn't) and I still would have wished I was somewhere else. I asked the server if he found the music annoying but he said he didn't really listen to it anymore. Perhaps that is how workers at Gap et al feel with their repeated CDs. Workers may develop an ability to block it out but as a diner, I found it impossible.

So my little neighbourhood Chinese food may indeed be the "best Chinese food in town" but I'm not going to risk finding out.

7 comments:

Joy said...

its sort of like in the movie ELF when Will Ferrell takes ZD to the place that claims "the worlds best coffee"


Oh, and i'm a little suspicious of anyone who claims that there's a restaurant that serves good mexican in this town. This town unfortunately doesn't do good mexican.

Anonymous said...

Our town publishes a 'Best of Belmont' of restaurants, services etc. Turns out that the paper is partial to the companies that advertize in their paper, so if you want the rating, you gotta fork over the cash.

Sara said...

Luckily, Portland is blessed with some amazing restaurants. Chinese food, however, is lacking. Luckily I prefer Thai or Vietnamese over Chinese and there is an abundance of excellent (and inexpensive) options in town.

aisy said...

all in the money.... that best of belmont seemed suspect when i read it.

ruby, what is the good food in dc?

mcollie, i miss good vietnamese.

Anonymous said...

if it's the "golden dragon" it really is pretty good.

aisy said...

i'm not sure what it's called. but i don't think it's that...

Ryan Remains said...

If you come to Juneau, you'll be pointed to 3 different Mexican restaurants who all might be called the best.

If someone sends you to 'the hat' aka El Sombrero, they're wrong man. it's Fernando's if you want the Super Burrito w/ chile Colorado, or a veggie chimichanga. Otherwise it's Olivia's.

The best Chinese food restaurant is actually called Chiam's. It's in Portland, they even mix MSG in with Coke. Mmmm...MSG...