9.14.2006

words, words, words

My friend finds one of my common phrases amusing. It's "good job" with something else... like "good job that board didn't hit you in the head." I never thought twice about it until she would laugh and mimic me. Recently when I was visiting my parents I heard my mom say "good job blah blah blah" and I realized it was either a family phrase or something that Canadians say.

I've noticed that people's word usage can either be endearing or aggravating. My tolerance is often dependent on my level of like or disdain. For instance, one of my less favourite co-worker's has a habit of using "deserve" in strange ways. She was talking with one of my clients and kept saying that he deserved to work towards attending an NA group. It seemed off to me, on top of her saying the word a half dozen times in five minutes. Then today I overheard her talking to another co-worker about applying for a part-time job. She said "I deserve to at least drop of an application." Say what? I'm beginning to question myself if it's just me or she is using it wrong. It's a good job that I don't have to be the word police. All I know for sure is that when she does say it, I cringe inside.

So phrases... what ones do you love, hate or are simply confusing?

9 comments:

BHodges said...

i often preface comments with "im not gonna lie..." which I believe I picked up from a will ferrell movie. and it's weird.

Ryan Remains said...

I say "nice work" a lot. I really like the word nice, even though it isn't really descriptive.

I also say "kick a**" a lot.

**=ss, but not the creepy nazi version.

My pal Julie says "dude!" a lot, which I've kind of picked up to and enjoy.

My wife hates it when people misuse the word deserve. I mostly agree.

Phrases that confuse me: "shame spiral" (don't even get me started-thank you SNL), "I want you to feel validated" (like as in parking?) and "positive mental attitude."

Christopher Stogdill said...

Good job realizing your co-worker is a deserving nutjob.

mskaz said...

I think you deserve to be confused with your co-worker's use of the word "deserve". That's bizarre.

Apparently I say, "eh" a lot. It's kind of embarrassing to have that pointed out to you, because then you are just a Canadian stereotype.

And since we've noticed my kids use the word "actually" a lot, we've noticed that they picked it up from me. It cracks me up to know that I am "actually-ing" them to the extent that they've picked it up for their own use. I'm sure they'll need therapy later in life to deal with the scars of their mom sarcastically correcting them their entire childhood.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday :D

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Aisy!!!

I agree with Mskaz about what kids say,a word used alot around here is 'crap', kind of sad when you hear a word like that come out of your two year olds mouth....hmmm, must be from their father.
A pet peeve of mine about words in general is when people use 'big' words to sound smart when a small and simple word would do fine.

aisy said...

um, pravin, thanks for the b-day wish but i'm not sure if i actually know you. so that would lead me to wonder about how you knew my birthday? ah well.

ryan, my friend lisa says dude all the time which i totally picked up... as i have a knack for copying without meaning to. (i prefer to see it as a skill not a deficit). anyway, now that i moved i don't find myself using it so much.

man, bel and mskaz, i love hearing stories about the kidlets. they crack me up. oh and life, i used to say to tell you the truth and i'm not gonna lie quite frequently but that too has fallen out of everday usage for me.

Anonymous said...

i was browsing birthday blogs and came across your link :P

HOO said...

I say "Don't trip that..." or "Don't EVEN trip that...." a whole heck of a lot.

I also say "of course they did" or "why wouldn't they" alot.

I would love to be able to get away with a British "Cheers, Darling" or "All right, then?".