9.12.2006

the problem with forgetting

My friend gets ready for work at the gym pretty much every morning. Recently she was getting ready when a stranger asked to use her deodorant. She was taken off guard and said yes but later was really grossed out by it. I too found it rather odd. That's one of those moments when you suck up the four bucks and go buy yourself some rather than swiping your pit on to a random person's hygienic product. If it was your friend or family, perhaps the communal sharing would be okay.

Friday we did a spin class at a gym closer to work, so I opted to get ready at the gym. I did a mental checklist of what I would need and was quite proud of how quickly I packed. As I got my towel to shower I realized I had forgotten my shower sandals. I was completely skeeved out as I stood in the shower barefoot. Thankfully I have not seen any strange growths on my feet since. Then as I was getting ready I shuddered when I realized that I had not packed one of the most essential pieces to a woman's wardrobe. I put my sweaty grey sports bra back on and was grateful it did not show through my shirt. I was not too happy with the uni-boob look but a bra isn't something I can quickly run in to target to buy. Why couldn't I have just forgot my deodorant???

5 comments:

Lucy Stern said...

Rule of thumb...Don't loan your deordeant to anyone.

Maybe you should make up a check list to go by when restocking your bag. If I don't have one, I always forget something.

Ryan Remains said...

I haven't worn that stuff cosmetics companies demand you do under your arms since I was 17. It's been a great run.

Wouldn't it be possible to scrape off the top layer of deodorant without discarding the whole thing? Or am I being dumb?

One of my favorite things about forgetting stuff is that you get to not take yourself so seriously. I try to forget one majorly important thing a day.

Anonymous said...

I have to say the deoderant thing is a little too personal to be a loaner. yuck.
I do see Ryan Remains point about scraping the top off, but then everytime you used the product after, you'd be thinking of the other persons arm pit!
One time I forgot our stroller sitting outside my car at the pool, I just loaded the kids in, got distracted by something or other, and drove right off! Luckily I live in a pretty honest town....or I have a crappy stroller not worth stealing, and it was still there about four hours later when I realized my mistake.

aisy said...

ryan, thank you for making me feel normal. i wonder where my brain goes each day.

lucy, the list is a good idea but i'm lazy and somehow think that each time i pack my gym bag i'll remember it all... this works one in every four times.

bel, i think it's an honest town ;)

Anonymous said...

In your friend's defense she was probably grossed out by the idea of a stranger borrowing her deoderant from the get go but found it a little socially akward to say no...that would really gross me out. It was probably easier to loan out the deoderant and be completely grossed out as she scraped the top off then it was to say no when it was in plain view...probably.