8.11.2005

the blogging wars

I was attending school in Utah when the war in Iraq broke out. It was strange being a "non-resident alien" during this time. Canada's government had chosen to keep their troops out of the conflict, and I agreed with the decision. Prior to the war, my friends and I engaged in many heated debates. Soon people that I was acquainted with starting having friends, boyfriends, or relatives called to active duty. Out of respect to their situation, I shared my opinions only with like-minded individuals. Two years later the debate about the war rages on. Yet, it is easy to forget that there are real men and women out there... living this life day in and day out.

Yesterday I read a fascinating article about milbloggers, military bloggers, in Wired Magazine entitled The Blogs of War. My blog is for my random opinions, basically a form of entertainment. But for many in Iraq, the blog gives friends and family instant relief that their son or daughter is still alive. The milbloggers are able to instantly connect with loved ones.

I read some of the blogs after reading this article, and I found this one the most poignant. "It was a privilege to work with these soldiers, but there wasn't a day where I didn't long to return back home to where the rubber meets the road. To those not acquainted with the cloistered world of the Infantry this might seem like an unusual wish in the middle of a warzone. It's not something I can easily describe, some things exist in the shadowy realm eternally out of phase with the conscious mind" (from 365 and a Wake Up). Regardless of ones opinion, these men and women are away from all that I often take for granted, like driving my car... potentially living their last day.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rus dude... that was so deep, eh? Take another puff of your Canadian medicinal marijuana and remind yourself how sweet it is to be a citizen of a declining middle power. Irrelevence - the new source of security. Not a worry in the world man, not a worry in the world.

P.S. Thank heavens for that federal gun registry. The great white north has never been safer. You might ask the host of this blog to invite her brother to do a guest column on the virtues of Canadian gun control. Now that would a posting to read (over a week or two).

Anonymous said...

So like most conscientious objectors you moved to Canada? Anyone tell you conscription was suspended?

You are welcome to return south of the 49th. You may even find more like-minded individuals with whom to discuss the war. But if you move to Utah, please keep your lefty opinions to yourself, ya hear.

Anonymous said...

12:14 AM? Rus, me thinks you have an internet problem.

Is your comment addressed to the first anonymous or the second? Either way, it matters not.

Not sure where this money in mouth comment is coming from. On my read, neither of the anonymous postings professed support for the war in Iraq. That's your subjective interpretation, friend.

Anyway, I reject your assertion (or is it merely a suggestion?) that support for the war requires such volunterism (i.e. if you support the war, back it up and pick up a rifle, otherwise, shut-up). Is that where you were going? Is that the standard of accountability required in this forum?

If so, I noticed your posting to the thread on same-sex marriage....


Now, stepping out of uninvited anonymous poster character...

Rus, please don't take these postings personally... just curing a little August boredom with a few inane posts to little Aisy's blog. As for my true thoughts on the war... not enough time to do it justice. Clearly the situation is extremely complex and there are no easy answers. While I would love to see the soldiers return home soon and safely, the short- and long-term consequences of an abrupt pull out would likely be disasterous. You may consider this response a cop-out (it isn't). I am in fact pressed for time. Perhaps I'll write more later.

As ever,

Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Yo rus, check out Caphalon's Provigil. Works like a charm on narcolepsy and other sleep disorders.

aisy said...

aisy didn't really say it... now i have someone stealing my identity ... should have gone with capitol one to ensure i was safe from identity theft!

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

Wow. I love Canada and leftists and rightists and everymabody...

I figure a trust in arms, a trust in wealth, a trust in global economic control or an exclusive on being right is not going to save or bring joy to anyone.

Let's get to sharing and loving and less blowing up people because they're different than us. Though I do still believe in peanuts, and butter and jelly fishworlds.

Anonymous said...

Who left the dogs out?
"Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design ... *A potential new planet discovered beyond Pluto should, according to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, www.
You have a super blog here! I'm bookmarking this site.

I have a coin paper money stamp site. It covers coin paper money stamp related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

aisy said...

seriously, i keep getting spam comments... i delete them, but i'm keeping this one because i'm positive they're really bookmarking my site this time.

now, on to more pressing matters...

i believe anon is (for lack of a better phrase) a shit disturber (whom i love anyways). he seems to have stirred it up, and did what he was intending... and trust me, he definitely believes his own thoughts! that being said, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and i welcome them and hope all continue to make comments... but all involved, please play nice

ps-however, please no one use my handle in the future... that's playing dirty...

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

Werrrd.

David said...

show yourselves anonymous posters