8.02.2005

krispy kremes and jesus

As I was driving back from a weekend away with my sister and her family, I began singing some of the beloved songs of my childhood, such as "worms after the rain" and "clear the tracks." I believe only a privileged few have ever heard those songs, as they were from a record we bought from artists that sang at Silver Springs Elementary school. I'm not sure how widespread their recognition was... but those lyrics kept me singing then and even now.

This triggered a conversation with my sister about a Christian record she and my older brother listened to. I don't ever remember hearing it, but there was a song on the record about telling the truth and avoiding white lies. I don't remember the record, so I tried in vain to find it on the internet (if someone out there reads this and can actually find the song based on my very limited knowledge of it, please let me know). However, googling something of this nature was bound to bring up many amusing sites. Although I consider myself a Christian, I have never really understood the whole Christian music scene. Sometimes the lyrics make me uncomfortable... like the ones that sound like a love song, until you realize the person is singing about Jesus. Yikes!

Then there are the songs with laughable lyrics that are more of a disservice than a help to those who actually do enjoy religious-based pop music. For instance, comparing life without Jesus to a donut. I really don't want to trash on the donutman, a.k.a Rob Evans, but to say that "life without Jesus is like a donut because there's a hole in the middle of your heart" seems rather ridiculous. Granted it is a song for children, but simplifying religion does not have to equal silly similes.

Feel free to check out the site yourself. The whole song (and a clip from a show) is further down, so make sure to scroll all the way down and look for the title. Feel free to weigh in...

I'm glad I don't like donuts, because if I did I'm sure I'd want to fill my Krispy Kreme donut with a round pastry donut hole.

1 comment:

LeeSun said...

"like the ones that sound like a love song, until you realize the person is singing about Jesus. Yikes!"

heheh :P

i plead guilty to that one! i'm a Christian and i occasionally write love songs about Jesus ... feel free to check my latest (and yes do weigh in) at:

http://www.download.com/leesun

i don't mind scaring people. in fact i quite enjoy it!