8.10.2005

the tides are changing


How many parents still let their children walk the three or four blocks to school alone? Do you really see little kids under the age of ten playing alone at the park?

My sisters and I were reminiscing about the "crazy" things our parents did when we were young. When I was seven, and my twin siblings were 10, they sent us alone to England. That was not the original plan, but when my grandma kelly became very ill they felt it best to stay with her and send us on our way. Really, it was only an eight hour journey to a foreign country! Then my oldest sister Danielle recounted a time when she was in grade two or three and my mom sent her on a bus downtown... where she told the busdriver which stop my father would be waiting at. My mother and I were also having a debate a few months back about the distance I walked to and from elementary school. We were close to our old neighbourhood, so we drove from our old house to the school and clocked the distance. It was about one kilometre one way, which my mother said "see, that wasn't too bad." Considering we walked home for lunch, I was clocking four kilometres a day... and when you're six, your legs don't move too fast! The only upside to walking to and from school was the clandestine stops at the macs store after school to buy candy. My brother invented a genius way of making money... charging kids 25 cents to watch him eat an ant. I jumped on that bandwagon when I saw the dough rolling in.

However, the children of the next generation aren't privileged as we were to come and go throughout the neighbourhood as they please. Parents who would send their young child on a bus downtown alone would now be considered neglectful or "stupid." My sister's local school is chock-full of cars in the parking lot at the end of the school day, and all the kids live within walking distance.

Is the world more dangerous or are we just more cautious? There is likely no official answer... but I do want to hear what other "crazy parents" did when you were growing up.

7 comments:

aisy said...

oh, by the way... that is a picture of me and my mum... when she did accompany me to england

mskaz said...

Your parents sounded crazy! Didn't they also have 6 kids? Nutters.

Anonymous said...

Is that you with your baby? You look funky. Let's meet.

mskaz said...

Anonymous said...
Is that you with your baby? You look funky. Let's meet.

Gross. Anon, you are talking about her mother. MY mother. Granted, she is funky, but lay off, she's taken.

David said...

my parents rare vacations were necessary for their mental health, but their "faith" in us not to burn the house down was crazy.

i do not recommend leaving a home with a 16,14,13,12, and 10 year old boys all to themselves is a good idea.

we would push the trampoline close to our deck. then we would bring out every blanket, sleeping bag, and pillow in the house and put it on the trampoline.

then... we'd fashion my dad's thirty foot ladder up against the railing of the deck.. so we wouldn't have to walk through the house upon each "stage dive."

i'd say 5 boys, in their teens, jumping from 40 feet (off the railing of the deck) in the air on to a trampoline, probably isn't a good idea.

fortunately no pulsipher brother's were harmed in the making of this memory.

aisy said...

marvelous, i don't know what was crazier... the jump or the latter climb.

eyun, seems like you and your older brother had many times where you were yanked away for being too rowdy on the dance floor...

aisy said...

sorry to bring back your PTSD symptoms... i'll reduce my fee for that hour just because!