8.04.2005

the sinking island


A friend and I went to see the movie "The Island" the other week. I had no clue what the movie was about but had seen some brief clips... and from what I saw I thought it could be a promising flick. The ads gave it sci-fi feel and I thought "maybe this one will have an interesting concept." One hour into it, I kept checking my watch to see how much time was still left in the 138 minute movie that I still had to endure.

First of all, the movie had the most blatant advertising. I know this has become common practice in television and movie, but typically it is done subtly. This one had huge in your face shots of playstation, aquafina, msn, and puma to name just a few.

Secondly, the sci-fi bit of the movie really only lasted for a short time. The bulk of the movie consisted of your typical summer blockbuster chase scenes, with grand effects and over the top moments. Why do they mislead consumers in their marketing schemes? I don't think I would have wasted my money if I knew it was just going to be a chase movie. And seriously, why is it that the good guys always manage to dodge every bullet and never fall off the edge of the building? Are the bad guys that inept?

My third rant involves the very obvious rip-off of a highly successful sci-fi film. Seeing human bodies in these gelatinous pods seemed oddly reminiscent of, oh.. the MATRIX. There was also a part of the movie where it was apparent the screenwriter or director (whomever responsible) got his/her idea from the concentration camps during the holocaust.

I will condense my fourth and fifth rant to just one paragraph, as they are related. I tired of seeing Scarlett Johansson make this pouty face... seeming so innocent and helpless! But don't worry, there's a big, strong, brave, and smart man that will figure it all out and save the day. Does hollywood need to persist in making movies that show the man always the hero... the one that will take care of the damsel in distress? How about showing the man and woman on equal footing, or better yet... a woman that figures it all out for the dim-witted guy. But wait, then it would be a comedy and everyone would laugh because that's not real life, is it?

The only upside to seeing this movie was that I had delicious ice cream and a good chat before the movie began!

5 comments:

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

Grain cart it is. I think the whole woman action movie thing is always misrepresented. They're always prostitutes, well I mean not always, but usually they're not heroes, more sex symbols with power and wits, hence a black hole sucking out the intellect of all nations combined with that zing after a whole Slurpee.

Nevermind.

L B C D said...

Sounds like you need to take a girls night and rent the Kill Bills

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

Done. I mean generally, Tarantino did his job.

aisy said...

thanks for the tip fezzy

aisy said...

thanks for your addition seaneria...

i agree completely with what you said. all around a very, very disappointing flick.