1.25.2006

men are from mars and who cares about women?


Since discovering blogging I've lurked on quite a few feminist sites. Typically I use my blog for nonsense. However, there have been several no-nonsense things on my mind, one of which is my complete annoyance with home product advertising. In the USA approximately 60% of women are in the workforce, only 14% less than men (making about 76 cents on a man's dollar). Yet, how often do we see commercials with a man enjoying a new mop or discovering the convenience of a flushable toilet scrubber? One of the most offensive ads I saw was this revolutionary vacuum that was quiet and easy to use. The husband and child slept on the couch while the wife vacuumed. The perfect picture to showcase the silence of the machine. When this dutiful wife finished her "chores" she was able to meet the rest of her family who were already enjoying themselves at the beach. It would be refreshing to see commercials featuring men, and not the inept stereotypes, doing housework.

But the topic I wish to discuss is John Gray's so-called self help book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus". This book has been a thorn in my side for years. I hear people recommending it, blogs espousing its "greatness" and hear it thrown around in common vernacular. Pop psychology can be entertaining even for a budding therapist. I've been known to tell people that I'm a Red-Yellow and my mantra last year was "he's just not that into you." However, Mr. Gray's book perpetuates gender stereotypes, promotes power differentials, has no empirical basis, and absolutely infuriates me. I read an article in my master's program and was able to locate the article online. It takes 15 minutes of your time but is well worth it. Gray's book was analyzed by three women, yes women, but the book speaks for itself.

The authors of the article note that Gray "paints a picture in which women have high needs (even desperation) to communicate with male partners who would prefer to talk very little or not at all. Men communicate with coworkers and women they are dating because these conversations are goal driven." Gray also paints women as good listeners, but men as insensitive and incompetent listeners. Gray's book gives disproportionate amounts of advice to women compared to men. To ensure women really understand how to support their partners, Gray takes the time to dispense advice over two pages. However, he feels men only need two short paragraphs to fully understand how to support the women in their lives.

Zimmerman et al., go on to say that " Gray's basic thesis-that men and women are instinctively different in all areas of life-and his recommendations for dealing with these differences serve to reinforce and encourage power differentials between men and women, thereby eroding the possibility of deep friendship and sustained intimacy in their relationships. ... [T]his position is counter to a growing body of research that underscores the importance of shared power for achieving an intimate and effective relationship (e.g., Gottman & Silver, 1999; Rabin, 1996; Steil, 1997)." Gottman, one of the researchers quoted, is an eminent researcher in Marriage and Family Therapy, recently featured in the fascinating book, Blink. He was also the first theorist I was introduced to in my studies.

The authors conclude that "Gray (1992, 1994) describes women as plagued by problems, overwhelmed with negative emotions, desperate for conversation and emotional connection, inefficient, emotionally unstable, illogical, insecure, and passive. Gray's (1992, 1994) materials also portray men in a negative light... as insensitive and emotionally inept... manipulative and primarily motivated by self-interest."

This has been a New York bestseller and is touted as "the classic guide to understanding the opposite sex." To me, it's the classic guide to perpetuating gender stereotypes. It promotes women to be passive and to put men's needs above their own, while giving little credence to men's sensitivity and motives. The book spends disproportionate amounts of time devoted to understanding men, although men are apparently simpler beings. As tempting as it is to use several puns to include our favourite planet, Uranus, I'll refrain. I believe that men and women are from earth, and this book should be sent to outerspace never to return.

23 comments:

ngharker said...

Well put. I enjoyed it. Although I do find stereotypes funny in a humor situation, there is nothing that grates me more than when they are toted and promoted as the key to understanding life. How can we sum up all problems by reverting to generic gender patterns that don't exist. Anyway I really enjoyed your take on that.

... although, there are those damn swiffer commercials where the guy wont give up the swiffer mop. There are guys out there who clean without the incentive of a fun little toy mop on the end of a stick. Can we come up with any good examples of a guy cleaning where they don't resort to mockery of the idea... well aside from MR. Clean.

aisy said...

exactly graham! i can't think of one ad with a male that is just a normal, smiling happy man doing housework. the only one i could think of is the one where the wife hangs up on him because she's embarrassed because her co-workers walk in.

sean, hope your kicking butt in school. hopefully we'll get a chance to eat at Kodo when i next visit. maury is awful. when they do have those "heartwarming" shows, it is basically a glorified circus act. let's have brutally scarred or burned people, people with deformities... and we'll pretend we feel really awful about their plight, completely ignoring the fact that our ratings go up because people watch because they are horrified and have never seen someone like that. the charity aspect is bull and it annoys me (obviously)

Anonymous said...

I'm all for all critiques for and expert witnesses refuting the MAFM claims, but when it comes to the uneven distribution of advise, I think it can be attributed to an author writing to his audience as much as anything else. I hate to perpetuate gender stereotypes, but I know a lot of women who have read the book and I know of no men who have. I'm guessing the author predicted this and, accordingly, geared the book's content to women. (I think we can all agree that academic objectivity didn't factor into many his decisions regarding this book.)

Similarly, whether ideal or not (in my opinion, not), vacuum market researchers have no doubt found that women do a disproportionate amount of housework and household vacuum purchasing. They are responsible to their shareholders, and must capitalize on this as effectively as possible by gearing their advertising to women. To me, stereotypical marketing isn't so much a means of perpetuating gender roles as much as it a response to them. Marketers’ motives are simple: sell vacuums. They can’t help it if it’s women who buy the vacuums for a family, but they’d be out of jobs if they didn’t exploit that fact.

While I agree that authors, advertisers, the rest of us, etc. should exhibit social accountability, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable allowing Corporate America's marketing department the privilege of defining and redefining social norms. I am therefore reluctant to empower them by blaming them for the promulgation of negative stereotypes, as this would, conversely, force me have to wait for the same marketers to exact positive changes. I like to believe that progress in our society is a result of enlightenment and effort of its members, rather than what a financially-driven business sector spoon-feeds us.

Anonymous said...

In contrast to the academic inobjectivity in M.A.F.M., however, I'm pretty sure that the lack of advice to and criticism of "Yellows" in the Colour Code is not because of the author's own yellow proclivities, but because yellows are objectively beyond reproach and pretty much embody all traits of a perfect personality...

aisy said...

Ms. Low, BA... thank you for weighing in. As you know, I always appreciate your opinions (remember "not that funny"?). However, regardless of audience, I still think a book that is meant "for couples" should show equality. And I hold little faith in Gray, and wonder if he was indeed smart enough to think of his audience. Just like the comment regarding colour code... of course the author viewed himself as a yellow, so yellows were written as more favourable (as a red, that makes me see red). Gray does the same in his book... espousing lots of great advice for women because he's a man and can remember all those irritating things his wife has done and how it has made him feel, while completely neglecting how his jackass behavior made his wife feel (sorry, I have a hard time being objective when he is the subject matter).

Now, I know I left out the marketing side of ads. It was a thought when writing, but was neglected. So thank you for bringing it up. My question is then, how do we go about changing stereotypes on a broad level? I think we cannot ignore advertising, authors etc because when these ideas are perpetually brought forth in media, it starts to feel like "yeah, that probably is the way." That is what makes Men are From Mars, Women are from Venus so marketable. The stereotypes in the book feel instictively right because it is what we hear and see all around us.

If we are an "enlightened" society, why has this not trickled in to mass media? I suppose I don't have enough confidence in society as you do. Are we aware enough of the medias impact on us? I am not sure that we are. I think progress must come from each of us individually, I agree... but I also think we need to start seeing more responsibility in the "financially-driven business sector." In my opinion, change comes from the individual and the collective. And I don't believe we're doing such a good job collectively.

So, this long ramble brings me to... what is the solution? Do we completely push aside the media?

Anonymous said...

Caught part of an interesting interview with Paula Zhan the other day. This woman (can't remember her name) wrote a book titled "Self Made Man. She documents living as a man for 1 1/2 years to do research for her book. Quite convincingly, apparently. She shared some interesting insights. Anyway, worth looking at sometime.

aisy said...

wow mum... thanks for posting. i just found a link here for the book, the author is "norah vincent." i'll be sure to check it out after i finish the tipping point (same guy as blink)

Anonymous said...

I only have 12 minutes and read real slow when dissembling academic syntax -- and as aside, surely they write in such an opaque manner for the cognoscenti at the exclusion of the hoi polloi -- so will not read the article, relying instead on your notorious hostility, supported, of course, by my very own prejudices and prior observation that Gray was no more than an effete girly boy tweaking the teet of the pop psych cash cow, funded by insecure woman with genetically hinged wrists and tiny hands intelligently designed to confer upon them superior housecleaning skills.

So who other to vacuum the floors? The dog in the freezer?

aisy said...

mr. anonymous (i.e. aisy's dad), you use such big words. i am always in awe. nice work on trying to get me riled up but today it didn't work. i have had numerous lapses in my 28 years with you, but i'm starting to slowly figure it out. i think my dainty wrists (and they are dainty thanks to my mum) will be put to better use by barking demands at others. ha ha ha.

is it your competitive streak that finally got you to read (and comment on) my blog? or did you want to see how i phrased that sentence you so aptly helped me with?

much love,
aislinn

David said...

i liked the "bathroom monkey" skit on SNL...

i make it a habit to not purchase relationship books... and then especially from men who look like date rapists.

Anonymous said...

The advantage of senility is you can't recall what you did 10 minutes, let alone keep in mind a telephone call about a phrase, but perhaps your shrink rap is right, and it was percolating in my unconscious.

My CEO directed me to the site, but insisted I leave enough clues to protect your equanimity. Must go, late for our reservation at Taste of Tokyo.

aisy said...

mr p... never saw that skit.

pa, your first two sentences gave you away (even without the dog in freezer comment). hope you and mum enjoyed the sushi! you guys are always out on the town now that you've deserted the family ;) (not that i'm one to talk)

mskaz said...

What i want to know is how do you get your dainty wrists to bark orders? I would love to know how to do that as by the end of the day, my throat is hoarse.

aisy said...

okay, so my wrists don't bark the orders, but they'd be involved in lots of pointing and gesturing to get my point across.

Anonymous said...

Great post! Gray had always irritated me but I'd never quite put my finger on all the reasons why.

aisy said...

thanks happy. the article articulates it better than i ever could!

Sara said...

Gray's book and the pervasive marketing of stereotypes both cloud the more interesting discussion (for me anyway) of male/female differences vs. masculine/feminine.

Lucky for me, this Red/Blue, IMTJ has enough self control to ignore Gray's book and TiVo to help me ignore the marketers.

aisy said...

mcollie, just when i think we are a friend match, you go all blue on me! amen to tivo... join the red/yellow group, it's so much more fun! ha!

amy, welcome. while i like gottman as a researcher, i can't really subscribe to his technical methods. (i'm an mft also). it's far too behavioural for me. i'm much more of an eft/object relations person when working with couples. then i get all wacky in family therapy!!!

David said...

aislinn... i'm not an MFT... but visit my blog at shamlessblogpromotion.blogspot.com

David said...

thanks blair, i thought you'd like that.

Habituelle said...

Loved this post! Add me to the list of people who cannot stand John Gray. The people I know who do like his work also tend to think that Dr. Phil is "insightful." Thanks for all the links.

I highly recommend any book of Deborah Tannen's; she's a linguist, not a therapist or counselor, and has an interesting approach to gender communication. Great stuff.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that John Gray's "ph.D" is from Columbia Pacific University a diploma mill that was closed down by the California Attorney General's Office in 2001 because it was called by the Attorney General,a diploma mill and a phony operation offering totally worthless degrees! There are also two excellent online rebuttals of Gray's sexist myths and gender stereotypes one is called,The Rebuttal From Uranus by Susan Hamson, and the other is called Out Of The Cave:Exploring Gray's Anatomy by Kathleen Trigiani.

Also, there was a major recent review of 44 studies of over 20 years on gender by University of Wisconsin psychologist Dr.Janet Hyde called The Gender Similarities Hypothesis that found men and women are much more alike in most psychological traits personality and abilities. This report was in the September issue of American Psychologist and it is on The American Psychological Association's web site from this February online in the Psychology Matters section.


There is also recent research on the same American Psychological Association site about,Men and Women share cognitive skills and that research debunks myths about cognitive differences.It also mentions Dr.Hyde's research findings. Also back in 1974 there was a major review of thousands of research studies on gender differences by Stanford psychologist Eleanor Maccby and Carol Jacklin called,The Psychology of Sex Differences that found only small szex differences and also more similarities.

Anonymous said...

Also,

There are many studies and experiments by psychologists that document that male and female babies are born biologically more alike than different with very differences but they are perceived and treated systematically very differently by parents and other care givers from the moment of birth on.