1.12.2006

politics and such

(Note: If you don't link to all the articles, please at least link to the GEM one).
I grew up in a very politically involved family. My dad was often involved in provincial campaigning for various Progressive Conservative candidates. I remember fainting at one winning celebration after inhaling too many helium balloons. There wasn't much to entertain ourselves with and so we made do with what had. Let me begin with a brief synopsis of the PC party for those unfamiliar readers. Back then, the PC party was just right of centre, then an ultra conservative group broke off and formed the Reform party which became the Alliance party. This new party was more akin to the Republicans of today. So in Canada we had the New Democrats, the Liberals, the Progressive Conservatives and the Alliance. The Alliance freaked out a lot people in the East and a few of us in the West. After many years of vote splitting between the PC's and the Alliance, they merged again in to one party... the Conservative Party of Canada. Unfortunately, a lot of the nutty Alliance members were still in play. So this left several disillusioned Kelly voters. Politics became less discussed, unless it was a heated debate about gun control or gay marriage. I have felt partyless for many years in Canada. I've heard all the pros of being fiscally responsible but deep down I'm a bleeding heart liberal (not to be confused with the Liberal party). With the topple of the minority Liberal government, Canadians now face another election in less than two years.

Liberals have been plagued by the sponsorship scandal. Conservatives still have too many ultra right-wingers, and the NDP are really the pipe dreamers of the group. I suppose the Natural Law Party might be a good alternative. I'm all for federal spending on the research of yogic flying... ha ha ha.

Anyway, I have felt rather out of the loop since being down in the USA, but my brother sent me this gem about a Liberal ad campaign. The Liberals had to know that someone would do the research on these "average Canadians." But that's just it... the average Canadian isn't going to find out about it, and may actually believe that these were random people on the street. I cannot stand campaign ads. I abhor the weak attack ads that are far too common in American politics. Kim Campbell's group made the mistake of running an attack ad in the 1993 elections, which was developed by an American company. Although it is argued that this ad may have helped or that such ads do help in campaigning, I think many people found it offensive... and so they should. It was pulled after two days so what does that say? I've become cynical towards politicians. Political platforms have become a forum for empty promises. Political decisions are often swayed by lobby groups with the most money or in Canada, decisions are made to keep Ontario and Quebec happy because they hold the votes.

It makes me want to throw my hands up and say "to hell with it." And yet, thanks to my parents influence, I feel compelled to vote and exercise the right I've been given. My wish is that politicians would really listen to their constituents and be moral. Is this to much to ask?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the Green Party. I just might vote for them this time even though the candidate in my riding is barely out of highscool. The conservative candidate will win without my vote anyway. As for the general results, the devil in me is secretly hoping for a Paul Martin victory.

p.s. Like the handle?

aisy said...

I thought about adding the Green Party, as they are always good for a throw away vote... and not as ridiculous as the "Marijuana Party.

And if this is who I think it is, I am shocked at you wanting Paulo to win. I do remember a certain bumper sticker you had. But perhaps this is another sib trying to smear your name or pop (but I doubt he even reads this blog). Very curious.

Anonymous said...

No imposter here. It's not me that wants Paulo to win, or Mr. Dithers as they like to call him. I said the "Devil" in me. By the way, I finally replaced that bumper sticker with a Waldorf one. "Education from the inside out". I figured it was time to blend in a little. As for the pothead party, it would be a fun experiment to put their campaign sign on your front lawn. Would it mean that stoners would come to your door looking for a party or marijuana. "Dude, is this where the marijauna party is at?" At least if the sign on your lawn said Conservative party there's little chance anyone would bother dropping in.

aisy said...

Ha ha, that was funny ted.

As for the bumper sticker, good call. Did I ever tell you I rear-ended someone due to the "Piss off a Liberal, Buy a Gun" bumper sticker? I saw it on the door of a Tracker and was shaking my head thinking how much I disliked it (sorry, but I do) and when I looked ahead again, I realized I was going to hit the 4-Runner in front of me. Luckily I was going 5 km, but I felt like a moron.

Why does your devil want "Dithers" to win?

mskaz said...

A vote for the Green party isn't a throw away vote. When you exercise your right to vote, you aren't throwing away anything. Plus, I like to consider it a protest vote and that's where mine is going this time. In the last election my protest vote went to the NDP's to which dad replied, "that's a protest against sane thinking!" Ha.

David said...

you think you have problems?

we've got developmentally challenged a**hole running our country.

Anonymous said...

Whoever you vote for gets $1.75 for your vote. so why not vote Green? The Conservatives are going to win in ALberta anyway. I'm sending what little I can to someone that doesn't want to drill for oil in National Parks.

Anonymous said...

Well Rus, that's what I was thinking. But what if everyone was thinking that way and as a result the Greens swept Alberta? That would really throw the rest of Canada for a loop. But who's talking about drilling in National Parks?

aisy said...

mskaz... pardon my semantics, i basically meant what you said.

Anonymous said...

said Ted: not likely that anymore than a few seats in Alberta will go to anyone other than the conservatives, if any at all.
as for drilling in national parks, i can rely on the greens not to.