1.10.2006

sometimes my own behaviour baffles me

I'm sure we've all been amused by stupid warning or direction labels on products, such as "do not use while asleep" for curling irons. I also like the large warning tag on my blow dryer that says "do not put in water." I wonder if some person thought a genius way to save time was to blow dry his/her hair while finishing up in the bath... only to find out how much electricity likes water. I wish Phil Connors would tell us what it was like to die that way.

You would think that with all my years of showering, I would have come to the realization that reading the directions on shampoo and conditioners is useless. The typical instructions are "lather well, rinse, and repeat if necessary." You might get the occasional "leave in for 60 seconds" on your conditioner but I'm usually soaping up during hair conditioning so regardless of what the bottle says, I do it anyway. And yet, each time I try a new brand or even my typical Redken brand (my one materialistic weakness is hair products), I read the stupid label. Sometimes I read the label out of boredom and sometimes I think there might be some new, incredible instruction, but mostly I think I have this compulsion that I just have to read it. Compulsions are strange things.

15 comments:

Cindy Bean said...

I love reading shampoo labels. I also love to read when I'm sitting on the great porcelain throne. Sometimes, when I have a lack or reading material, I go straight for the shampoo bottle. Occasionally there is something interesting written there. We should send a petition to shampoo companies to start putting more clever things on the back of their bottle, I think I have a friend who is a graphic designer there...

aisy said...

so i'm normal, right?

oooh, i like the idea. what if they had quizzes on them or funny quotes or those extremely annoying 3-D pictures.

Cindy Bean said...

They could do quotes from soap operas. Tee hee.

fMhLisa said...

mmm . . . hair products.

I have to materialist weaknesses and hair products is one of them. Go ahead and guess the other.
It's so cliche.

That's right. Shoes.

aisy said...

i used to hate shoe shopping because of my crazy narrow feet, but i've hit my stride and then some in the last few years.

lou... that was pun made me smile

David said...

yeah, compulsions... like checking email and blogs.

nasty habits. one of mine is when i wash my hands i have the uncontrollable desire to then splash my face with water. i cannot resist.

David said...

oh, and aislinn.

i've decided that you and i are in the same exact family of blogs. observational/biographical blog.

other categories:
the expert - advice
the commentary - popscoff
the biographical - goosegirl
the photo - g-unit

i know there are many, but sometimes i like compartmentalization.

aisy said...

david, that's an interesting one. i've never been much of a water splasher myself (at least not intentionally, see H2 Oh post). one of my kids always splashes his face in the water fountain if he's had an emotional session.

on to blog themes... two peas...

oh, and you forgot an adjective on ours, which is humourous observational/biographical

BHodges said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BHodges said...

You forgot me too.

The self-important - LifeOnaPlate

David said...

haha blair, yeah, yours is the "my life is so effing interesting you should read about it and like me for it"

well put.

mskaz said...

I'd like to point out that Aislinn's new picture is of her celebrating beating the dance machine at Chuck E. Cheese. You know, the place where the people competing on such things are under 10 years old.

Just so you all know.

aisy said...

i've got no shame in that picture. i kicked butt on that thing... unlike another person i know who went on "easy" version, while i chose "hard."

David said...

so wait, you beat it... that's pretty word up.

also, isn't the shampoo brand called "redken" not "redkin"?

aisy said...

what can i say? i'm ready to move up to dance revolution.

duly noted on the spelling, thanks mr. s. bee (the s is for spelling). i will make the change.