1.20.2006

random observations on the drive home


It's been one of those weeks where I've thought about a lot of things, but have had no desire to formulate them in to a post. I was fairly brain-drained from work today, as a lot of unexpected things came up... one of which was fairly upsetting to me. I'm understanding more and more that life as a therapist can be very rewarding but can be very draining. On the drive home I just zoned out (in the safest way possible of course), and just did some people watching via the car. This is what I saw:

First to catch my eye: A car that had "re-married" written on the rear windshield. I found it very odd, and concluded that it must be a joke. The two people in the car looked rather young, and because I like to be right, I am going to assume they were "just married" and someone thought it would be quite amusing to put "re" instead of "just." I guess I missed the funny memo.

Second to get a stare: An old woman who was barely able to see over the steering wheel. This one easily caught me because she had a tendency to drift in to my lane, and almost smacked in to a pedestrian. I'm sure she is a lovely woman, and a faint smile crept across my lips when I saw the slight pink tinge of her hair. But I also felt like an ageist when I thought "they really shouldn't let old people drive." I'm sure she mutters "they really shouldn't let young kids drive" as I scooted in front of her.

Third to get a second thought: The greasy, Little Caesar's joint on the turn to go home. I almost thought about turning around to get a five buck pizza but knew that I'd bite in to it and regret it. It was an impulse thought due to my exhaustion. I am feeling rather hungry now, but I think some cereal will do the trick.

And my last coherent thought: Seeing the huge piles of snow and laughing to myself about getting stuck in the driveway yesterday. I'm house sitting for friends, and when I opened the garage I could not believe how much snow there was on the ground. Mistaking my Canadian car to be tough enough to take it, I managed to get stuck. A kind neighbour helped dig me out so I could get off to work. As I got closer in to the city, I noticed the huge difference in the amount of snow on the ground. There was at least a 5 inch difference in a matter of miles. My boss must have thought i was totally crazy when I called to say I might not get to work as I couldn't get off the driveway. I was almost excited at that thought of staying in and drinking Ovaltine, until I remembered that snow days for work just means more catching up. I loved snow days as a kid. And also, I discovered that the Ovaltine here doesn't taste as good as back home (hint to those that might love me enough to send me some).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of when me and a few friends of mine all got jobs at a printing company. I had balloons for some reason so we decorated the car, and we found something to write "just hired" on the back windshield. that was fun.
not much snow here. i hates that stuff.
i prefer canadian corn pops too - they're round! (or they still were last time i bought them here, now that mountain dew is caffeinated here everthing has gobe crazy!)

aisy said...

whoa, when did it go caffeinated?

other things that are better in canada: oreos, chocolate bars, licorice... and i haven't been able to get my hands on perogies. they are no where to be found in this ukrainian-less state.

Dagga said...

the mountain dew was caffeinated when I first came to Canada in 1989, sorry guys I´m a compulsive reader and had a lot of time on my hands the first few months, I noticed then. We have it in Iceland now and it is much better in Canada, so do donuts and my favorite, M&M´s, they just don´t tast the same in Europe.

David said...

i'm an ageist... pure and simple. except i take it a step further. not only are they dangerous. but i am superior to all old people.

no really... they are freaking personifications of russian roulette and i hate hate hate the liability they pose on the road. horrifying.

and there's nothing "humorous" about marriage the second time around aislinn... for some... it's our only choice ; )

Anonymous said...

Dagga you're wrong, mountain dew wasn't caffeinated in Canada until just recently - my understanding is it was illegal to add caffeine to beverages that didn't have it them naturally. but, i have also heard that only cola drinks could have caffeine.
anyway, dew is marketing itself as a sports drink now - so that's the loophole i guess. (august 2005 popscoff, and/or google it)
it has always been caffeinated in the u.s.a., so maybe that's what you are remembering.
i agree that young people are superior to you, mr. clark.
I'm off to try and make some ROUND corn pops from scratch...

aisy said...

what's also scary is that i was at the dmv and saw an old man getting his eyes tested. it took him a good minute to read three letters EVEN with his glasses on (this was after numerous prompts by the person behind the desk to read the letters to the left). Scary.

i am not a remarriage-ist at all. i just saw two very young looking people in the car, and although it is PROVO, i doubt it was a remarriage.

Dagga said...

I admit that my once excellent memory is not what it used to be