3.03.2006

good reads

I've been debating what I should post on day five, as I really had no particular order or thoughts for happy week. My only goal was to see if I could write each day of the week. I feel blogged out but since I already quit one major thing in 2005, I'm not backing down in 2006. Sunday will be the special and final edition... like Ms. Williams says "You go and save the best for last."

Today I'm featuring my two most interesting reads of the last six months. I hadn't heard of Malcolm Gladwell until my parents kept telling me about this "great read." I finally acquiesced and read his second book entitled "Blink." I'm typically a fiction gal, but I ended up loving it. Then last month I read his first book "The Tipping Point." Gladwell has an ability to write repetitively without boring the reader. In fact, it helps the concepts really sink in. Tipping Point explores how change, epidemics, and trends happen. Blink focuses on those judgements and choices that we think we make in the blink of an eye... but are really driven by history and cognition. If you haven't already read them, I highly recommend them. They were absolutely fascinating to me. Why waste your time on overrated drivel like Davinci Code?

18 comments:

elisabeth said...

cool. thanks. i love reading recommendations! it sorts out the drivel. i barely bother reading anything anymore that has not been recommended by peers.
i think i have heard of Blink actually.

Dagga said...

I´ve been wanting to check him out myself he sounds really interesting.

aisy said...

He uses lots of examples from all walks of life. You two are avid readers, so I'll bit a bit nervous until I hear your opinion!

mskaz said...

I've been meaning to read those books too. Mind you, I like pointless drivel once in awhile. It's nice to not have to think sometimes!

aisy said...

i should clarify that it really has more to do with the writing. dan brown is not a good writer...

elisabeth said...

oh yeah i guess everyone has their pointless drivel that they enjoy. i am a closet gossip magazine reader.

aisy said...

oooh, like people magazine?

elisabeth said...

yes. those things are the devil.

Joy said...

dan brown is a horrible writer...okay storyteller but that doesn't make up for his writing!

mskaz said...

Elisabeth, if those magazines are the devil, I am so looking forward to hell. Sometimes I pick the longest line at the grocery store (when I don't have the kids, of course) just so I can read US magazine.

Hey, It's Ansley said...

I read The Tipping Point and loved it. If you are looking for something else, I am just starting Freakonomics and it has a similar feel, lots of easy-to-read examples written by a super smart person to explain something mind boggling in terms I can understand with a new twist. Oh and it has a very positive quote by Gladwell on the book jacket.

Sara said...

Da Vinci Code drove me nuts!!!! I enjoyed the story, but Dan Brown is not a good writer. By page 10 I had discovered that if something was important to the plot or even had a hint of foreshadowing, he would write it in italics. Come on! Make us guess as readers what the important and trivial clues are.

In addition to Freakonomics, I can also recommend the Wisdom of Crowds.

aisy said...

Oooh, i heard about freakonomics on my fave crush's show (Mr. Stewart). It sounded fascinating. I'll look in to Wisdom of Crowds too. Thanks!

David said...

one of my favorite passtimes is looking at all of the varitions on the spelling of "DaVinci Code" on the link up.

a real treat.

i'm reading middlesex right now, by the dude who wrote virgin suicides. it's a lovely read.

aisy said...

david, were you being uber-amusing by the two misspells in your first sentence?

guess that's my hint to change my spelling of "Davinci" to "DaVinci." Thanks... guess i didn't even care enough about the book to get it right. gosh, all these good books to read.

David said...

after i finish middlesex, i'm reading "the death and life of america's great cities" by jane jacobs. it looks amazing.

erinannie said...

Best 3 books I have read in years-
"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini- you won't find better storytelling or writing anywhere, ever.
"Eats, Shoots and Leaves," by Lynne Truss. Perfect for grammar "Sticklers."
"Million Little Pieces" by James Frey. Oprah, Larry King, et al be da*ned. Incredibly enlightening.

(great blog- first time visitor)

aisy said...

thanks for the visit! come by any time. ooh, a million little pieces. i still feel to angry to go back to liking it...