3.13.2006

i was warned

I spent the weekend in San Diego for a work related trip, with a little fun on the side. Lured by cheap purses, we headed to Tijuana. My friends warned me that it could be depressing but I had been to the Mayan Riviera before so I was undeterred. I had seen poverty there, at least in my tourist bubble I thought I had seen it. We walked across the border on a very cool day. The creaky turnstiles and looming fence only added to the chill in the air. Within minutes of walking the main strip I was approached by a girl of four or five. Cheap charms in one hand and the other outstretched. I politely said "no thank you" but she continued to follow for several feet. Some adult, perhaps her mother, sat in a chair off to the side while several little ones approached different tourists. Inside my heart was breaking and within minutes tears flooded my eyes. I couldn't stop thinking of my little nieces and nephews... the idea of them cold and shivering on the street... begging for money... trained to make money. These precious children should be in preschool or in a swim lesson or playing with their trucks and barbies. I couldn't shake the sick feeling in my stomach, even when the man "proved" the purse was real leather by putting a lighter to it. A large fence is all that divides poverty from riches. You can drive up a hill in TJ and see the "American dream" in San Diego. The grass is green, the houses are nice, it's clean, kids go to school and have a chance. On the hill is shacks, povery, dirt.

How often do we think of how grateful we are for our opportunities? I happened to be lucky enough to be born in a place where it wasn't even a thought of "do we send her to school or teach her how to make money on the streets?" Yes, I was warned but I was reminded again of the need to make a difference in this world that we live.

6 comments:

Hey, It's Ansley said...

You know those programs that take kids from inner cities or other economically depressed areas, and show them fields and flowers and another possible way of life; call me an idealist, but I have often wondered if there were a program like that to take the people who live this life with fields and flowers and opportunities and knowlege of their potential and take them to the inner city, wouldn't they vote differently? Wouldn't they fight for social programs? wouldn't they realize they could make a difference and volunteer?

aisy said...

amen ansley, amen...

Sara said...

I had a similar experience on vacation when I had to drive through a shantytown to get to my hotel. "Shantytown" is too romantic a word for what it is. No matter how much you think you are prepared to see it, I think it is always worse. If we aren't affected by the encounter then we surely have a cold heart.

For those of us that have witnessed extreme poverty, how do we educate those around us who have led an insulated life in their comfort zone? Is it enough that we volunteer or do we need to do more?

aisy said...

good question. i think we obviously need to do our part to make a difference but i think we also need to be politically active to "try" to make more sweeping changes. we also can't keep hiding the poverty that exists in our own nations.

Sara said...

That is one of the reasons I signed up with the ONE campaign. When key issues come up for a vote in Congress or even in committee, I get an email about it from ONE with my Senator's phone number. While I don't think my voice alone will make a difference in how they vote, if it is combined with the voices of other people maybe change will happen.

I am learning to not hold back in my views. I think I used to be afraid to rock tbe boat amongst my conservative church friends and so remained silent on issues that I found profoundly important.

aisy said...

sean... i loved your comment (so talk away). i think we've all had those moments that we wish we could take back. and i'm sure you never will duck your head again. it helps that people are willing to put a person behind those faces they see on the street. we need more like you. it's easy for society to just say "they're lazy" or "alcoholics" etc when they don't really know their history. i wonder if sometimes we turn a blind eye because confronting this day in and day out could become very depressing or we just feel helpless to how to change it. the comments from ansley, sara and you have really inspired me to do more. so thank you guys!